Monday 23 September 2013

Build a 40k dice tower


Trolling through the net for ideas, I came across a dice tower. After being fascinated by how it works, I realized this is probably something I could do as well. I drew a sketch to get my mind in motion.

After scouring my table for materials, I have decided to make one out of 5mm foam board and card board. This piece will work as a dice tower and doubling as scenery for the table top.

 
I started with the basics to determine how tall I wanted this tower to be. I decided to make a 2 storey tower. I then proceed to cut the four walls to make the tower. Out of the 4 walls, 1 of them will need to be shorter to allow for the opening below (marked 4 in sketch). The other 3 will be full height walls.



Next was to cut out 2 foam board boards for the insides where the dice would bounce off and finally the bottom ramp which was cut out of some cardboard I found lying around. 



Glue the “box like” structure to an art cardboard canvas base. I wanted the structure to look like some sort of silo, so I added some doors, made using corrugated cardboard (again you can get this from recycle pizza boxes or any stationary shop) 



I glued them to the sides using PVA glue. After that I added some cut out foam board to make an enclosure for the dice to land. I also decided to add some floor texture from a Japanese take away boxes which I have procured during lunch. The top broken roof of the tower was made out of corrugated board. 



The final touches were adding sand texture then base coating and paint.  

Give it a go! Scratch building is always fun and rewarding.

Capt. Stainguard

No comments:

Post a Comment